Spring Workshop & Seminar: April 19 & 20 – Everything about DNA
The Rogue Valley Genealogical Society is pleased to announce that Blaine Bettinger, Author and Genealogist, is the guest speaker at the Society’s April workshop and seminar, “Everything about DNA.” Blaine is a professional genealogist specializing in DNA evidence, and is the author of the “…long-running blog, The Genetic Genealogist.” A well-known educator and speaker, he frequently gives presentations to educate about DNA and its use in exploring ancestry. In addition to his blog, Blaine is the author of Genetic Genealogy in Practice, and The Family Tree Guide to DNA testing and Genetic Genealogy. We are fortunate to have him as our guest speaker, and we know you will agree when you join us for our April workshop and seminar at the Smullin Center in Medford, OR!
Workshop: Using Autosomal DNA for 18th & 19th Century Mysteries
- Learn how to use autosomal DNA to attack and solve genealogical mysteries.
- Using Y-DNA and mtDNA to Explore Your Ancestry – Y-DNA and mtDNA testing are the workhorses of genetic genealogy! Learn how DNA tests can be used to explore your ancestry, and how these results can identify close, and distant, relatives.
- Using GEDmatch and DNAPainter to Analyze Your Autosomal DNA – DNA testing companies provide their own analysis of test results, but there are third-party tools that allow test-takers to learn even more about their genomic heritage. Learn how to wring every dollar out of your test results!
- Advanced Third-Party Tools – Examine tools often excluded from third-party tools, such as Phasing, Matching Segment Search, Lazarus and Triangulation tools offered by GEDmatch, and others.
- The Danger of Distant Matches – Evidence shows that distant matches sharing a small amount of DNA are often false positives. Examine problems that can arise when reviewing distant genetic matches and ways to evaluate and use them.
Back to News
Smullin Center * 2825 E. Barnett Rd * Medford, OR
Workshop: Friday, April 19, 2019; 1:30-3:30 PM
Workshop Fee: $45, Members - $35.
Seminar: Saturday, April 20, 2019; 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Registration: 8:30 a.m. * Seminar Fee: $60, Members - $50
For registration form, information and speaker details, visit www.rvgsociety.org
or call 541-512-2340.